Thursday, July 29, 2010

Wide Smiles

Today Leah and I were playing with Erik, smiling at him and in return he would giggle and smile back! I told Leah that his surgery was next week and I was going to miss his 'wide smile'. She didn't really understand what I meant, asking if he wouldn't be able to smile anymore, or if his mouth would be different. I explained that right now when he smiles, it is huge and contagious! Literally takes up his whole face! There is going to be a change after his surgery because the cleft will be sewn together. Leah went on about how she is going to miss his smile as well, and even told Grandma on the phone tonight how she was going to miss Erik's wide smile! It made me smile, made me proud of my girl who is learning compassion through her brother who looks a little different, yet loves the things about him that make him different!

I know that all kids ask questions and always make comments about people who look different. It made me sad when a little boy at the pool said that Erik looked gross. I am glad that his smile is going to be 'put back together', but I am going to miss it, and I am always sad that people are ignorant and will continue to be ignorant, especially when it comes to adults and the quality of life my children will have. Do they seriously think that my kids cannot and will not have a 'normal' functioning life because they look a little different. It pisses me off and I am hoping I can teach my children compassion and love towards others so they will be able to look past the differences and get to know the person for who they really are and not only for what they look like. I guess the greatest way I will be able to teach them is if I convey that myself.

This wasn't meant to be a rant tonight, but I guess that is what came about!

1 comment:

girl with no name said...

I just thought i would leave a comment after reading this post.
A while ago, on my myspace account which i never use anymore.. There was this organisation which i was very fond of and wanted to help.
It was called Operation Smile:
http://www.operationsmile.org.uk/

Your son is so cute and he is no different to the other children who won't understand the situation as they are still just children. Don't take anybodys comments or views that may upset you to heart because they will never understand it from your point of view, as a mother.

I know i do not know you in person, but i can tell that your children are going to have a healthy and long life because their mother is determind to support and teach them.
God bless.