Saturday, December 16, 2006

The End??

The past couple days with Caidy have proved to be more of a challenge than I have expected. She hasn't been eating very well which has been so frustrating, you can see she is hungry but I can't seem to find what it is she wants to eat. She has eaten so much milupa, that I am sure she is sick of it, she won't eat my breast milk which is obvious that she needs. There is no consistancy and I am getting worried that she may get dehydrated. Right now she is with James at the table and he is trying the old cleft bottles that you squeeze with a Nuck nipple, which seemed to work for about 1/2 an oz, but now she is crying again. It is as if she gets frustrated along side us because she knows she is hungry but hasn't figured out how to do it yet without her plate in, and we get frustrated, so the whole scene is one of chaos!!

I know there is an end near, I know her mouth will heal and this is just one more thing we have to go through, but man when you are in the middle of it, it sure is hard to put things into perspective.

She is now laughing hysterically at James as he plays 'hide and seek' with her. It amazes me how she can smile while I am in tears! How she can only take a couple tsps of food and be satisfied, how she can care more about playing with a piece of paper than filling her body with the nurishment it needs?

I know God is here, I know he is taking care of her, I know He is taking care of me, I know He can see the end and His timing is perfect. God show me that the end is near, show me that we, as parents, can do all for her that she needs, show me how to feed her all that her little body needs, I pray Father be here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think she could use a dose of Tylenol? Maybe that would get her over the hump. Sometimes it's hard to tell when children are in pain.

Dose she usually drink out of a regular bottle? Or a sippy cup? Did you ever have to syringe fluids into her? (Sorry, I can't remember...)

Well, good luck. It's hard to see your kids unhappy. But, you're doing a great job, and you know her best.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning James and Jaime, we just read the blog. We'll be praying for you, and Yes, God is in control!You can do this, you are wonderful parents! Keep trying everythig you're doing, and then some. We'll talk to you soon. God Bless You.

Wilson's said...

Jessica,
I knew I could count on you to reply!!! We have been giving her tylonal regularly, and then I usually try the bottle about 15mins to 1/2 an hour after. She did take a regular bottle and since the surgery we have tried a sippy cup without the stopper and straws, but she doesn't want anything. We do syringe feed her, our biggest is about 2 tsp. and we are able to get about a couple of them into her before she gets frustrated that it takes so long.
Do you have any advice about re-introducing the bottle, it seems everytime I try she screams hysterically, it used to be such a comfort to her, but now without the plate (NAM) she refuses.

Anonymous said...

Well, it sounds like you're doing everything right (ie. continuing with the Tylenol, and waiting for it to kick in before feeding). I just asked because a lot of people stop the painkillers too soon.

It's hard to say then whether she just doesn't like how her mouth now feels (in which case she'll have to give in sooner or later), or if she's in pain or there's some other problem.

The only idea I have for re-introducing the bottle is doing like you're doing with the Tylenol 1/2 hour prior. Then, make sure she's super-relaxed, doing something she enjoys (like watching a favourite t.v. show), then kind of casually putting it in her mouth. Maybe if she's a little distracted, and you try to be as subtle as possible, she'll realize: "hey I'm eating, and it's fine" before she has time to get worked up. I don't really have any other ideas for you; it sounds like you're trying everything.

Have you looked at any on-line support groups or chat rooms? Someone might have had the same problem and came up with a solution. As a last resort, you should probably let your doctor know, just to see if it's out of the ordinary.

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Children are born with the natural ability to suck. Your baby's palate might be still a bit sore and delicate after 1 week of surgery.
It can take anywhere's from 1 - 3 weeks for the healing process. Just give it time and she will get the natural reflex to suck once again.
Keep giving the bottle without forcing her because as we all know, people like to be in control!
Your child's physician may allow breastfeeding, bottle-feedings, or cup feedings after surgery.
Your child should be placed on a soft diet for seven to 10 days after surgery.
For older infants and children, age-appropriate soft foods may include strained baby foods, popsicles, yogurt, mashed potatoes, and gelatin.
Note: your child should not use a straw or pacifier, as both could damage the surgical repair.

Good Luck.

Wilson's said...

Thanks for the great advice!

Anonymous said...

Very good!