Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Chaotic Life!

We have one unhappy little girl right now! We went to the orthodontist yesterday and Caidy had her mouth plate put in and we learnt how to tape her lip. The plate and tape together will minimize the clefts and then when she has her surgery there should only be a gap of a millimeter rather than so many centimeters. Everything in me wants to take the tape off because she hates it so much but I know that it will only take a couple days for all of us to get used to it. Caidy will try to rip it off and just yell at us when we try to feed her. Last night we fought for roughly 2 hrs and then she finally had about 1.5 oz and fell asleep, and the same thing at 5:30 and 8:30 and 12:30!! I seriously don't know how I am going to feed her for 2 hrs while trying to take care of Leah and Elijah! Along with all the feeding issues this morning, Leah was up at 5 am, my breast pump broke, James was late for work, it felt like if one thing goes wrong it all does! We paid $300 for the pump and to have it break so soon was very frustrating, but my amazing husband fixed it! He pried it open and saw that a belt had fallen off. I can't imagine if we would have had to buy another one!! I have tried nursing Caidy and she really liked it, but I found that she would feed for so long and I didn't know how much she was taking in, I had to hold her like a football and try to pump with my hand, but it was so hard and I figured that she was already getting the good milk that I could bottle feed and not feel guilty.
I feel like this post is a little full of random info, but our life is a little chaotic and I know you all understand!

7 comments:

Wilson's said...

thanks daddio!

Anonymous said...

Hey James and Jamie.
Just wanted to let you know that I very much appreciate this blog and that I check it frequently. Thank you for giving updates on what we can pray for specifically. I really hope and pray that God will make Himself more evident to you and that life will seem less chaotic soon.
God bless.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaimie,
You are doing great! It is the hardest thing to see your baby unhappy, but you know it's best (ie. the tape) in the long run.

If I can just give you a bit of advice: I know I haven't observed Caidy taking the bottle or nursing, but on of the doctors in neonatal told me that a baby will always get the most ounces in the first half hour of a feeding. Even if you feed for another half hour, the baby will get at most, another 1/2 an ounce. If you let the baby rest after half an hour, she will be good and hungry and more energetic for her next feed.

Anyways, I don't know if this will work for you. Maybe she is just crying the whole feed, and you know she is not getting anything. And I don't want to be one of those people who gives advice and doesn't know what they're talking about! But, I hope things go easier for you! That is awesome that she wants to nurse. Be encouraged that a baby is usually getting more nursing than you think. Good luck!
-Jessica (Saskatoon)

Wilson's said...

Jessica
Thank you so much for the advice. Although we have a great cleft team here, we haven't recieved any practical advice like that yet! She does do fairly well at first and the fight starts after, I am sure that if I did let her have a break she would do better.
Please don't hesitate at all to give feedback or advice I could use all the help I can get!
Today has actually been alot better, we can tell she is getting used to everything and so are we, maybe this fight won't last long!
Thanks again
Jaime

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad if I can help. I've had my share of bottle feeding difficult babies -- well, it's my job. (Actually, the worst is bottle feeding breastfed babies; it's like "mom, where are you?!")

Yes, definately, if she feeds fairly well at first, then starts to fight, stop feeding her when she starts to fight. She is good and healthy, so it won't hurt for her to be a little hungry until her next feed. Then on her next feed I'm sure she'll take a proper feeding. Anyway, that's the theory!

Like you said, she is starting to get used to it. If she is taking short feedings consistently, just watch that she is peeing enough and that she is not getting dehydrated. Then you might have to try a different strategy. But, I'm sure she'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

hi
this blog is pretty cool
just to let you know our
prayers are with you
uncle john
p.s. the vikings will rule in 2006

Wilson's said...

Thanks Uncle John, but we know that the Bears will win it all this year!
James